Thursday, February 25, 2010

Good Clean Fun

Alright, this is where I can show everyone that I really don't come up with these cute ideas all on my own. Some projects I have seen years ago and can't remember where, and others like this cute activity I have found from other wonderfully creative people out in blogland.

Christina, at A Family filled with Love & Fun had this super cute idea---Bathsoap and Markers. We didn't make the bath markers (because that's usually our sidewalk paint) But we loved the idea of bathtub crayons. To go along with our animal theme, I decided to turn them into cute animal bath soaps.


To get all the wonderful instructions on how to make these cute bathsoaps/crayons visit Christina's website here.

(She has a lot of great and wonderful ideas so check out her blog!)
---She used Dove soap. I used Ivory (because it was white and inexpensive) but it seemed a little too soft. I think I'll try it again with Dove this time.

Next up: Homemade suckers. We had a lot of fun making and eating them! If anyone out there hasn't made homemade suckers, I hope I can motivate you to try it. It is pretty easy, but does require a few things like a candy thermometer, candy extract, sucker sticks, and sucker molds. (If any of you neighbors want to try before you buy, you are more than welcome to borrow mine)

First: Mix 2 cups sugar, 2/3 cups light corn syrup, and 3/4 cups water in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissoves. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring.

When syrup temperature reaches 260 degrees add color.

Do not stir; boiling action will incorporate color into syrup. Remove from heat at 300 degrees (or when drops of syrup form hard, brittle threads in cold water.) ***After boiling action ceases, add flavoring and stir. Use caution when adding flavoring to avoid rising steam.


Pour syrup into lightly oiled candy molds

or onto greased cookie sheet and score to mark squares. When cool, break into pieces

and dust with powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Store in airtight container.



Here are our finished bear suckers. We wrapped them in "Cling" wrap and put in a cute vase on our counter.

To go with our animal theme, we have also read the 3 Little Bears, and our Berenstein Bears books. We have also checked out some Bearnstein Bear movies from our local Library as well as The Swan Princess to go with our Swan Cream Puffs from Tuesday's post.

Up next: We'll start getting ready for St. Patricks day by making some Wee Leprachauns and Clover stamps.

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo, look at you go! You are off to a great start with you blog! I look forward to "getting to know you" and see what fun stuff you post on here! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your bath crayons look SO cute! I love the idea of using a mold, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tasty looking suckers! And in my favorite color too....

    ReplyDelete